SailNet Community - View Single Post - NMEA 2K Network Problems (Garmin GMI 10/Airmar DST800/GPS 19X (NMEA0183))
View Single Post
Old 02-04-2013

atsakir is on a distinguished road
Re: NMEA 2K Network Problems (Garmin GMI 10/Airmar DST800/GPS 19X (NMEA0183))

Thank you for the reply. I will ground the power cable and test again but I don't understand why it should cause an issue not grounding the power (and why it is not explicitly included in the installation instructions that the power drop cable must be grounded).

EDIT: in another document from Garmin I found online it clearly states that the power cable must be grounded (w w w.cnerd.com/interesting/boating/GPSMAP4008_NMEA2000NetworkFundamentals.pdf page 5). I wonder why this is not included in the GMI10 installation instructions!

As far as the GPS 19X goes, I checked the cable end connector that goes to the gps unit with a multimeter on the V+ an V- pins (2 & 3, if I recall correctly) and it registered a normal 12.70Volts without fluctuations.

For the triducer problem, since I don't have a NMEA2000-PC gateway, I cannot test the NMEA sentences sent throughout the network to analyse for potential errors but since some data is transmitted (temp, speed) I don't understand what would cause the erratic behavior of the depth data.

Last edited by atsakir; 02-04-2013 at 08:58 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook