SailNet Community - View Single Post - Power Outlet Sizzle - Help Please
View Single Post
Old 02-04-2013
Chastened

BubbleheadMd will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to BubbleheadMd
Re: Power Outlet Sizzle - Help Please

I disagree. It isn't always that simple.

The boat is an '85 Catalina. The boat is nearly 30 years old, which offers plenty of time for age and corrosion to introduce extra resistance into an electrical circuit.

My assumption is that the OP is running over 80% of the rating for the circuit, at the end of a long wire run, the wiring or the contacts in the outlet begin to heat up, it melts down, causing the "sizzle" and now the outlet is out of commission.

As I said in my post where you quoted me, running at close to 100% of the circuit's rating continuously, on 30 year old wiring and equipment, is likely to induce extra heat, which would eventually cause a failure.

You make it sound as if electrical components don't at all to break down with age, especially in a marine environment, and that it's safe to run at 100% of a circuit's rating indefinitely. I disagree with that.

The "80% rule" not only applies to vessels, it applies to shore-side installations that aren't even subject to the constant motion and corrosion of the marine environment.

That's cool though. You be you, and I'll be me.
1973 Pearson 30 #255
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook