SailNet Community - View Single Post - For a family of 4 - Islander 28 vs Catalina 30
View Single Post
Old 02-04-2013
Asleep at the wheel

jimgo is on a distinguished road
Re: For a family of 4 - Islander 28 vs Catalina 30

Bob,
I'm flattered that you would take the time to reply! The designer of the Islander 28 did a fantastic job. When my wife saw it, she was smitten! I only wish the boat was in better shape (i.e., not sinking). The performance is what keeps me coming back to the Islanders, but they are hard to find in my price range. Again, the designer did too good of a job, and they are holding their value too well (plus people just don't want to sell 'em). I'm sure the owners are all very appreciative of this, but for us "low budget" buyers, it's a real problem!

My wife isn't a huge fan of boating, so I'm leaning more toward the comfort side than the performance side of the spectrum. I've stumbled onto an Allmand 31 that seems to be a diamond in the rough. I have a surveyor doing a walk-through today to see if there's anything major that is wrong with her. If not, I'll probably get him to do a formal survey in the next few days. I know she isn't going to win any races, but given the steady breezes at the NJ shore in the summers, I hope she'll be good enough for us to enjoy.
1975 Albacore 15

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook