SailNet Community - View Single Post - Chesapeake Bay, Western Shore Marinas
View Single Post
Old 02-04-2013

T37Chef will become famous soon enough
Re: Chesapeake Bay, Western Shore Marinas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicklaus View Post
Any tips on a good a marina within an hour of DC.

My requirements:

Deep draft, boat draws 6' 2"
Reasonable distance from DC (hour tops)
Easy Bay access

My wish list:

On the small side, I don't need / really want a massive resort
"Park-like" setting (aka, I'd like some grass and not just boat yard gravel)
I'd prefer to stay off the Beltway, 95 or 50

Thanks,
Nick
Depends on where in DC you live? If on the North side I would suggest you look places on the Magothy or Patapsco/Rock Creek/Bodkin Creek areas. Do you know about Marinas.com. The site offers you good images and ifo

MYC on Rock Creek as Dave mentions (he is a member) is very nice club and a great property (we may become members soon). If you like yacht clubs, you may also consider Bodkin Yacht Club. They run it a bit different, you are required to do some work including bar tending on occasion, but its very reasonable priced with new docks in a very protected cove, not sure if your draft would work though?

There are a few marinas in that area that are almost exclusively sailboat marinas, Hammock Island Marina on Bodkin is beautiful, would be my first choice if they could accommodate our LOA. Oak Harbor Marina on Rock Creek is a family owned working marina, lots of gravel and little grass, no real amenities, but a great sailing culture and 99% sailboats, well protected and reasonable priced, good people (we are currently there).

If you're looking for cheap, Bodkin Marina is cheap but I don't think your draft will work?

I would stay away from White Rocks Marina on Rock Creek, just don't hear many good things about it and its very exposed to the North and West, their docks are fairly new though because of that . Fairview Marina, tucked away behind MYC is very nice, a working marina but is nicely landscaped and has a small pool, but I have also not heard many good things about the owners? It should be able to accommodate your draft, worth looking into.

IMO, the Magothy is the best place to be on the west coast of the bay North of Annapolis, with good distances to most points North of Solomons. A couple of places worth looking into, PSA Patapskut Sailing Association is awesome, but you must know someone to get in, and you will likely have to wait for a mooring for a couple of years. You are also required to work as it is member operated, but an awesome sailing community. They primarily have moorings, but you may be able to get a slip in say, 20 years . Another gem is North Shore Marina on Broad Creek, great spot with big slips and very protected, but hard to reach someone there. The docks are in poor condition and no haul out. Magothy Marina in Severna Park and Ferry Point Marinas in Arnold are very nice, but I don't know much about them.

There are others, check em out on Marinas.com Ive looked at them all over the years.

Good luck

Last edited by T37Chef; 02-04-2013 at 02:40 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook