SailNet Community - View Single Post - Interesting Sailboats
View Single Post
Old 02-04-2013

PCP will become famous soon enough
Sails

Quote:
Originally Posted by hannah2 View Post
What do you know about Elvestron sails? We are considering their radial cut sails for our modern designed boat. They have some really amazing footage of their factory on youtube that we have watched.

We have been always into some of Americas best custom sail makers in the past for our previous traditional boats. Thought folks would like to see their websites as they do incredible hand work. Now we are interested in more modern designed sails to complement the new boat. We have to make up our minds soon on a sail maker in Europe.
I had top cruising Elvestron sails on the Bavaria 36. In 2002 they were called "Ocean" and were sandwich sails with mylar inside. They worked well for 6 years but the main got some mold inside and that is the problem with sandwich sails. I made about 15000nm with them and they retained a good shape. For me it was time for new sails when I sold the boat in 2008 but I think that the guy to whom I sold the boat still has the same sails.

Last summer on my "new" boat I blew two kevlar/mylar race sails in a blow (8/9B) and even if the sails flogged a little I was surprised with the fragility of those sails compared with my previous ones. Later I talked with the sailmaker that repaired the sails (a Greek) that said to that for long range cruising and for many months of use a year there is only one material: Dracon.

Even if he said to me that he also made race sails I was not convinced but in Italy I spoke with the owner of loft specialized in racing sails, a good one, that said to me exactly the same thing and this guy does his own laminates so it is quite good. This time I was convinced

I learned also that there are different types of Dracon. He said to me that Elvstrom sails were not as good as his own but I don't know if it is true or not. It is a very nice guy and I rely enjoy his honesty. He took my sails again for doing a better repair and showed to me that I had an inappropriate fit on my jibe and took it for correction, all at a price that it seemed more than fair to me. This guy is the one that makes the standard sails for Comet yachts besides racing sails for many Italian racers.

The site is this one:

Veleria Speedsails

Regarding Elvstrom I would chose Dracon strong warp.

http://www.elvstromsails.com/images/...atrix_2012.jpg

Besides Elvstrom another sailmakers that are going strong are:

OneSails Sailmakers - The Next Generation of Sails

North Sails: The World's Leading Sailmaker

There are also good French sailmakers:

Voilerie Incidences, conception, fabricant de voiles pour bateaux de croisires, comptition, rgates, courses

Voilerie DELTA Voiles Montpellier, code D, genois, grand voile, spi, trinquette et gennaker sur emmagasineur, cruising et racing, réparation, voiles d'occasion

Regards

Paulo

Last edited by PCP; 02-04-2013 at 06:32 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook