SailNet Community - View Single Post - Northern Chesapeake Activities for Kids?
View Single Post
Old 02-04-2013

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Re: Northern Chesapeake Activities for Kids?

Funny I lived in Ocean City for 18 years and kept my boat on Barnegat Bay, because just cruising Rainbow Channel got old. There is pleanty to do for kids there. Barnegat is a nice place. I would stay in Dillons Creeek ( I did) or Forked Rover, Silver Cloud, thern you could still get in the car and go to LBI. There is good sailing there although its very shallow. What it lacks are the anchorages, tree lined creeks the Chessie has. Maybe thats the next step as you learn your new boat. I kept my boat there for 6 years. You next boat you will be staying on for weekends it looks like so thats a good place.

The Chessie is primo for a family and sailboat
There are many people from Philly who keep boats on the Chessie. The northern part is very nice, but usually suffers from lack of wind. Havre de Grace is a long 1/2 hour motor at least down a narrow winding channel to the Bay. Chesapeake City is 1 hour motor to begin sailing. There are so many choices here and that why many come to the Chessie for its beautiful anchorages and fun towns as destinations. Northeast has some marinas

From where you live its and hour to the Del Memorial bridge and then down the Delaware/ Md side. From the bridge its 45 minutes to Worton Still Pond and maybe 50 minutes to Rock Hall,

The first place I would stop would be the Sassafras although its an hour out to the bay you can sail the wide river easily when the winds are really up on the Bay. There are plenty of anchorages and from there Rock Hall and Baltimore are 6 hour sails ( 30 miles)
Many anchorages on the Sassafra plus Still Pond ( 10 miles) worton Creek ( 15 miles). Sailing Associates is one of the places there/

The further down the Bay you come, the better the wind is in summer. Rock Hall is about 11/2 hrs Many boaters from Pa come there because the marinas are first class, the towns pretty, and there is a lot of sailing area. 4 hours to Baltimore, Annapolis, Chester River. You could also stay 95 and come down the western side to Middle River...nice marinas and closer to Baltimore where there are fun things to do. Also Middle River can be sailed in heavy Bay winds. We are in the end of the Patapsco Rover. 1 hour and 15 minutes from the Del Memorial Bridge. Here you can sail the Bay or the River.

E mail DFerron one of the moderators. She and her husband live in Pa and keep there boat in Rock Hall and can give you a good idea of the commute.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook