SailNet Community - View Single Post - Keel Bolts
Thread: Keel Bolts
View Single Post
Old 02-04-2013

Ajay73 is on a distinguished road
Re: Keel Bolts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgeissinger View Post
This specific topic for this specific boat comes up on a fairly regular basis. The advice I would give is usually the same. Catalina built over 6000 of these over the years, and that's a lot of sailboats. I have searched quite a bit over time and have been unable to find one single documented case of a keel falling off a Catalina 27. Thia includes all those boats which sit in salt water year round and have received absolutely zero maintenance for the past several decades. I really don't think that this is something to worry about. I know I don't. If you want the peace of mind that a fix will give you, look at Catalina Direct's lag screw kit. They have done the calculating and part buying for you. But it is your boat, after all, so do what you want.
Yeah, I know it comes up regularly. But all this talk of this crevice corrosion and that we should be dropping our keels get me severely anxious about this. I figure that adding the additional bolts an inspection boring will give me peace of mind. As far as lag bolts go I figure if I have to drill down for the lag bolts I might as well drill out a window and get far more holding power.

Last edited by Ajay73; 02-04-2013 at 09:10 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook