SailNet Community - View Single Post - Boom rise with reefing... How much?
View Single Post
Old 02-04-2013
Closet Powerboater

MedSailor is on a distinguished road
Re: Boom rise with reefing... How much?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP View Post
It seems not for you. Boom lift prevents the boom to get lower than what should be. I don't understand why your boom goes up. If you are lowering the main and have not the boom secured by the boom lift or a have strong boom jack, the weight of the sail should bring the boom down.

The only thing I can thought is that you have a very powerful boom jack but if that's the case you have just to pull it down to the right position before reefing.

Regards

Paulo
Hmmm.... Good point. I don't have a boom jack, but I do have a topping lift that I rarely adjust. When I put a reef in I have to let out a bunch of mainsheet and then as I pull the reefing line in the end of the boom lifts up to meet the new clew.

Then, when I shake out the reef I let the reefing line out slowly and the boom comes back down. Were I to loose control of that line it would "fall" back down to horizontal where the topping lift would catch it.

Perhaps I should phrase my question differently:

Is there any reason that I shouldn't just have the sail built so that the boom stays level with each reef?

MedSailor

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I have a sauna on my boat, therefore I win.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook