SailNet Community - View Single Post - Northern Chesapeake Activities for Kids?
View Single Post
Old 02-05-2013
Asleep at the wheel

jimgo is on a distinguished road
Re: Northern Chesapeake Activities for Kids?

Chef2Sail, we loved Dillon's Creek, but they are really out of our price range for this coming season. I wouldn't mind being back there another time, but for now, I have to look elsewhere.

I'm 80% sure we'll wind up on Barnegat Bay somewhere this season, since my in-laws have a house at the NJ shore. It's south of Barnegat Bay, but depending on where we are on the bay, we'd still have the boat accessible if we went to visit them. The boat being on the Chesapeake means that a "quick" trip to go sailing will be anything but quick.

That being said, we weren't actually AT my in-law's condo very often last year. They frequently had visitors, and we didn't want to intrude. So that meant that the boat didn't need to be TOO close to the condo, and having it closer to home would mean we'd use it more. I'm tempted to bring the next boat to the Delaware, but I'm not sure I want to fight the current all the time, especially the first season with our boat.

If we buy a boat that's already on the Chesapeake, depending on where it is, I've been tempted to keep her on the Chesepeake, and then sail her over to NJ at the end of the season or some time next year if we're not happy there. There's also more competition for slips on Barnegat Bay, especially in the northern end, because Hurricane Sandy actually took out a few marinas, and they haven't recovered yet. When I called a few of the marinas that did survive, some have said that they are already booked up, and another had 1 slip available that would handle a 28-32' sailboat. So, that has me thinking "hmmmm...what if I buy a boat and don't have a place to keep her?" And that has me considering the Chesapeake where there wasn't nearly as much damage.

I like the looks of Sailing Associates, but I wonder about the location - wouldn't it take almost an hour to get out to the bay? Their prices seem pretty good, and they have most of the amenities that I'd like. We liked Georgetown when we were there a few weeks ago.

T35Chef, Haven Harbor Marina looks like a great place! I'll have to get slip rates from them. According to Google, they are 2:15 from me, which is a little far, but it may be worth the extra 20-30 minute drive depending on their rates. They kind of look like Sailing Associates, but with easier access to the bay.

As you can probably tell from all the questions I ask, I tend to overanalyze everything! I also REALLY appreciate all of the help you guys have given me. Hopefully I'll be able to return the favor some time.
1975 Albacore 15

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook