SailNet Community - View Single Post - Currents in the C&D Canal
View Single Post
Old 02-05-2013

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Re: Currents in the C&D Canal

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeFive View Post
I'm trying to talk my wife into taking our little boat down the Delaware River to Cape May for a week-long trip (this year or next year). If we time things right, I'm hoping to go two days each direction from Essington (stop off in Cohansey), and a few nights in Cape May. I assume Utsch's is the place to stay, right? Other recommendations?
Rick,

56 miles from Essington to Utsches. Would be worth it to go in one day. Much easier 1 day back also. That would give you five days in Cape May.
In your boat you will do probably 4.5 against and 7+ with the current.

The Cohanessey is really not a great place in my opinion. Having lived in South Jersey 18 years and fished out of there many times it is very buggy with greenheads and Mosquitos. It's surrounded by salt marshes. There is nothing to do there either. Sometimes the low tide marsh gas can hang really heavy in the AM with no wind a stinks major rotten eggs. If it were a destination place, more would se it as a stop over on the Delaware. Instead it's really a bailout place if you can't do the whole run or the wether gets crappy.

In all of our trips we have only detoured there one time and anchored near the mouth and it was a hot buggy experience. They forced us below where it was hot to stay behind the screens. It took an hour to kill the greenheads which had hidden in the setee cushions and head before we could comfortable sit without fear of attack from the carnivor flies. Major current flow also so devise a Kellet to prevent anchor wrap.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook