SailNet Community - View Single Post - Are Boats Built in the 70's Just Too Tired
View Single Post
Old 02-05-2013

BenMerc is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to BenMerc
Re: Are Boats Built in the 70's Just Too Tired

What I have found with regards to most all of the smaller vessels and the numerous manufacturer's is a substantial amount of research is involved in making these determinations, and as mentioned above knowing what the vessel was designed and intended to perform in the first place. Having purchased, restored and sailed three small -medium boats: 24'-wood Folkboat, 22' Catalina, and currently a 30' Irwin, I have been through the rigors of this effort. Checking make, model & year for starters, and actually talking with folks who have owned a certain boat you are interested in is very helpful...but remember, no matter the reputation, all makes and models have their weakness & strengths...and when buying used... assessing how well the vessel was kept is one of the most important considerations to make.

'Bluewater' and bluewater capable are words people tend to throw around, (myself included) sure there are accepted definitions, but it is only part of the equation. I have sailed far off shore a bit, no passage, so have limited experience, although commercial fished off shore in the Pacific one season, an added perspective. Have been in a few storms / gales...Bluewater is a very relative term from my perspective and experience, but experience is as foremost as anything in determining your understanding. You can have the highest rated 'Bluewater' boat in your class, and lose it in storm conditions in any waters...

I have refitted, re-conditioned comp. post...beefed up and re-built main salon bulknead, already know the hull is solid...deck is strong, next will be to do some up-grade on the deck to hull connection. I will feel very confident in this old 76' Irwin 30...she sails like a dream, very forgiving and fairly comfortable for a thirty footer!

Here's enough wind to get any hull moving!

Last edited by BenMerc; 02-05-2013 at 09:11 AM. Reason: typos
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook