SailNet Community - View Single Post - Keel Bolts
Thread: Keel Bolts
View Single Post
Old 02-05-2013

Ajay73 is on a distinguished road
Re: Keel Bolts

Eherlihy, I can find that information from Catalina Yachts. And one of their fixes is to drill new holes and install lag bolts. To me that is not a good option. As long as you are drilling the long hole you might as well drill out the window. As far as dropping the keel I'm not about to spend $4-5000 dollars to have a repair done "correctly" when I can achieve the same effect with a few hundred dollars of material. The cost/benefit of sending the keel to Broomfield just isn't there when I can drill and window in four new keel bolts and have double the strength of when it was new. Windowing has been done on Catalina 27's and other boats before and is totally an acceptable procedure. See Judy B. Maybe, in your case, windowing was not an alternative because of the way your keel was constructed with those pockets. And as I said in my OP my bolts were perfect down to what I could see and are most likely OK. I'm doing this just as an additional measure. After my inspection I may not even add them. I don't think my case is anywhere near what yours was. And I'm in fresh, cool water unlike you with salty, warm water. My post was about the positioning of the bolts and windows not about repairing an obvious problem area.

Last edited by Ajay73; 02-05-2013 at 09:38 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook