SailNet Community - View Single Post - Currents in the C&D Canal
View Single Post
Old 02-05-2013

Ulladh is on a distinguished road
Re: Currents in the C&D Canal

The Delaware Bay can be approached as a place to endure and get through as quickly as possible, or experienced as a place sometimes unpleasant but rich in its own wild beauty.

Maybe with a faster boat I would pass through as quickly as possible but with a slow boat I have been forced to find the bliss of place.

Cohansey Cove and the entrance to the Cohansey is hellishly buggy, but further up river at Hancock Harbor it is no buggier than anywhere else. Martin houses at the marina are rich with well feed birds that swoop around the river edges from dawn to dusk.

Unless we get an early warming in April the green heads at the Cohansey entrance will not be too prolific in early May.

June, July and August is the worst for green heads, but by observing there preferred habitat and the birds that feast on them it is possible to minimize exposure to these skin slashing, blood sucking beasties. So far my preferred defense has been a zinc oxide/citronella sun screen, they land but leave without slashing.