SailNet Community - View Single Post - What to look for in a new boat
View Single Post
Old 02-05-2013
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road
Re: What to look for in a new boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysterybee View Post
As long as I'm asking stupid questions: marina or yacht club?
Not a stupid question at all.

Yacht clubs generally do not have people who can work on your boat if you need it. Sure, you can maybe find another boat owner to help you do something that can be done while the boat is in the water but if you want warranty work done, or done by a professional, you'll have to move the boat to that location. Additionally, if you're in a location where the boat has to be hauled for the winter, some clubs require that you take it elsewhere for winter storage.

When we bought our boat we knew it needed work so we chose to at least start out in a marina with a yard that had a good reputation so that we wouldn't have to move the boat somewhere else to get the work done (especially important since we live 2 hours away).

Yacht clubs are great for the social aspect, most have restaurants and bars on site, club races, cruises, etc. Many also require members to commit to a certain amount of work hours per year, help with building upkeep, or whatever. Not a big deal in my mind but something to consider as many have memberships where the member "owns" a piece of the club. Most yacht clubs have "social" memberships at a reduced rate so you can experience the social part of the club without taking and paying for a slip.

For now, we're sticking with the marina. Restaurants are within walking distance and we have good neighbors. Also, the location is good for our commute and for easily getting into the Bay. Still, when I come across an interesting yacht club I do check into their membership requirements, just in case.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook