SailNet Community - View Single Post - Flash Evaporation?
View Single Post
Old 02-05-2013

sd1953 is on a distinguished road
Re: Flash Evaporation?

Capt. Tom,
I am not trying to be difficult, I am trying to get educated. I just bought a sailboat. It has a seawater cooling system that cools a fresh water loop which in turn cools the diesel. I thought I understood your intent was to flash evaporate the seawater to condense out fresh water to add to the potable water supply. You would not flash all the seawater and you would get two streams out of the system, one fresh (no salt) the other brine (higher salt content). Would you then run the brine into the exhaust? Would the flow be enough to cool the exhaust gasses and to muffle the sound? Would the hot brine not eat your mixing elbow LOTS faster than just the seawater does?
It seems to me that the fundamental technology exists, you have three problems to solve; one, design specs for a system that can work off the amount of waste heat from YOUR diesel installation; two, real estate allocation in your machine spaces; and three materials choices for the environment you will create by increasing the salinity of the waste stream.
Again, please understand, I am not trying to be argumentative, trying to get educated. It seems like a good idea.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook