SailNet Community - View Single Post - My son's first 'car'...
View Single Post
Old 02-05-2013

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Re: My son's first 'car'...

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
Chef, it is a dangerous world out there. Kids get killed in swimming pools (nice warm ones with lifeguards) at beaches on bicycles and chasing balls into the street. Not to mention, playing football, even if the concussion doesn't catch up with them.

And if you've ever heard how dangerous SCHOOLS are. School crossing guards. School zones. Seat belts and matrons on busses, where zippers and drawstrings get caught in the doors. Hell, if you want to save young lives, first you have to BAN SCHOOLS, they create all sorts of situations that get kids killed. Or addicted to drugs. Mandatory home schooling, that's the only way to keep them safe, in rubber rooms.

At least that dink will help to keep the kids away from schools, school zones, and school busses, and that's way more important than worrying about where the dink might go.
Hello,

I think you are missing what I was saying. I am all for kids having outside activiites including dinghies with engines, cars, everything you mentioned. I was not overly protective to my daughter and she is quite an outdoors person having done an few Outward Bound adventures including climbing the Andes . I was the least overprotective dad there is . I totally agree that these healthy activies are important to keeping them from swerving potentially into the wrong lane.

I also have huge respect for CD and his time he spends with his kids who he obviously loves and is a great role model to. I wasnt saying that and if it came across that way it was unintended. he is an inspiration and I love seeing his pictures and hearing his stories and watching his grow up with their dad.

Unfortunately sometimes when you are cautionary or dont agree with what some says here it becomes that you are saying the other person is doing it wrong. Thats not what I said. I also said I agreed with Smacks reference to helicoptering parents. I certainly wasnt that. I didnt agree with his statement that a motor was inherently safer than non motor. You can make both equally safe or unsafe. Knowing CD the way I do his son is a safe boater, opne because his father is (CD) and to becasue his father is a teacher and watches out for his kids welfare.

My statement is that having a motor on a boat doesnt make it inherently safer by just having it there. That was my point If you visit Annapolis harbor any day you will see humndreds of kids out there racing, practicing playing on small sailboats without motors. My first sailboat I owned was a motorless Hobie cat. I sailed it of the beach every day into the surf of the Atlantic Ocean. With that came precautions ( handheld/ compass/ ditch bag). If I sailed that in the PN other precautions would also be in place such as wet/ dry suit.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook