SailNet Community - View Single Post - Inflatable tender for 30' sailboat
View Single Post
Old 02-05-2013
always busy with sailing

Alex W is on a distinguished road
Re: Inflatable tender for 30' sailboat

Keeping it in the water all the time is pretty hard on the dinghy. Why not put it on the dock (with a rack that holds it vertical) when you don't have it in use? Otherwise you'll probably be hauled it out every couple of months to clean it anyway. If you aren't using it regularly (weekly?) the dinghy will last much much longer if you keep it deflated and put away when not in use. I bet a PVC dinghy will last only a few years if kept out in the sun, but go for decades if mostly kept rolled up and only inflated when it use. It takes me about 5 minutes to unpack and inflate my 7'7" Zodiac Zoom.

You can get an 8'6" Zodiac Zoom from Defender for less money than the Saturn that you are looking at. If you aren't in a rush it'll be even cheaper when they have their big spring sale (usually in April?). The Zoom is imported by Zodiac from China and made from PVC, so not comparable to their higher end boats, but it is probably at least as good as the Saturn and the company has wider representation so parts and warranty issues should be easier. The Saturn is also a PVC boat.

7'7" is plenty for two people and not much gear in my experience, 8'6" should be more than enough.