SailNet Community - View Single Post - Currents in the C&D Canal
View Single Post
Old 02-05-2013

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Re: Currents in the C&D Canal

It does have a wild beauty of its own I agree.

Our trip last year down the river August 10 we had zero green heads and it was delughtful. On our way Back Labor day weekend it was our worts bug trip ever in spite of it being our fastest trip to the Chessie ever.

On our boat we are armed with multiple fly swatters ( 8) The fkies were so bad that despite avon skin so soft we were forced to don thick sweatpants and jackets in 90 degree heat the greenies were biting so bad. The bit though cotton shorts. The drew blood everywhere the munched unless you killed them. At one polnt there were lkiterally 500 on the transome of our boat out of the wind adn 50 in the cockpit. As we fly swatted and killed them two at a time the reenforcements would take their place. This continued the whole 5 hour run up to the Canal when it ended. Our cockpit, combing, cabinhouse was covered in blood, flies and fly guts. My wife and I were countimng and we each had over 200 kills. THIS IS NO EXAGERATION There were two other boats traveling a slight distance of 8 miles behind us who had the same effect. One was XORT a larger CC Endevor and he had his enclosure comepletely shut up and still had some. When we got to the canal my wife washed out and sanitized our while cockpit after initially sweeping the flies up into 4 dustpans full.

Just go prepared with fly swatters, deet, skin so soft and patience.

Dave

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook