SailNet Community - View Single Post - Currents in the C&D Canal
View Single Post
Old 02-05-2013

PalmettoSailor will become famous soon enough
Re: Currents in the C&D Canal

Quote:
Originally Posted by jameswilson29 View Post
Further, I love Cape May, N.J., and would spend as much time there as possible, however, if you really want to make a fast Delmarva circumnavigation, stop at the breakwater in Lewes/Cape Henlopen instead of crossing the Delaware Bay and head up from there.
Thanks for chiming in. I do want to make the trip somewhat of a timely fashion but ya' gotta stop and smell the roses somewhere.

The points you raised about the lack of decent stopping points between Solomons and Great Wicomico, is why I'm thinking an overnight the first day out of Herring Bay. If we felt the weather window looked good and the crew was in the groove, we could just keep on sailing out for the Atlantic leg. If not, it would be a daytime entrance to Kiptopeake (sp?) or Cape Charles. To wait for favorable weather or just rest.

Cape May would be a place I'd want to spend some time to check out if we do this trip. Once we're back in the Bay, we could arrange to offload any crew with time constraints and finish the trip at leisure.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook