SailNet Community - View Single Post - Lets have a chat about multis.
View Single Post
Old 02-05-2013

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about
Re: Lets have a chat about multis.

Cats have had me intrigued to the point of pulling the trigger on building two. With our limited slip length, the only way to have a larger more amenity-filled boat on the Dock is to go wider.
As I got knee-deep in designing what we wanted, i learned a great deal about hull design and dynamics- length: beam ratio, optimum bridgedeck height above waterline, etc.
For coastal cruising, or living aboard/daysailing/occasional cruising, a cat is a great fit. but the lighter payload does have some impact on long-range voyaging. A Flicka can conceivably carry the tankage to cross oceans comfortably- a 25 foot cat has a much tighter margin for payload.
The motion is different. With less draft, less ballast and less keel, it is gonna be quicker, more noticeable on shorter boats than bigger cats.

Before getting too deep into building a 25' trainwreck, i decided to warm up by tackling a Puddlecat:

It will be interesting to see how it compares, performance-wise, to the plywood dinghy i built that is about the same LOA.

And maybe some of the old wives tales of cats pitchpoling and turning turtle with any swell may be finally put to rest.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook