SailNet Community - View Single Post - Lets have a chat about multis.
View Single Post
Old 02-05-2013
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Re: Lets have a chat about multis.

Fast .... there are conflicting stories re cat performance. Undoubtedly the weight issue has something to do with it of course but if that is the case then we need to disqualify any light weight monohull screamers for the same reason. One of the areas that piqued my interest was the realisation that even in LA/Cruising mode we are much less heavily loaded than e.g a family boat or a charter boat of say 6 - 8 people. All in all then, it would appear that at worst a cat is marginally faster than a mono but with scads more space for the crew and a seemingly more comfortable ride. Most certainly more comfortable at anchor.

I guess that heaviest weight carried by a cruiser would be liquid, fuel and water. Fuel is not going to change. Maybe being easier to drive in light air would enable a cat to keep sailing longer but probably not a lot in it compared to a mono. Watermakers otoh reduce the need for overly large water tanks. I'd also think that compared to say the Womboat a similarly sized cat would have less sail area, ergo less weight to lug around. Ground tackle not likely to change. So I'm thinking that for a two person boat weight may not be the issue it might be.

Lastly , when you say you mates chose mono over multi, how much of that was budget ? As I mentioned in a pm to you earlier on to go from the Womboat to a cat would require the Womboats asking price at least doubled.

Jonesy .... the way I am looking at this is that our cruising is almost certainly going to be in no more than passages of less than a couple of weeks, maybe at worst a month. Its not as if we, or for that matter most cruisers spend all that much time away from civilisation of some kind or another. In our month away we did one major and two minor shops, so we were able to sit out at anchor for most of the time, spend probably only four or five days actually sailing and a few days berthed in a marina. Had we not gone into one port where one can only berth, no anchorage, to visit some old friends we'd have only spent a single full day in a marina. Outside of civilisation provided you can make your own bread and catch yourself some fish/squid/shellfish you really do not need to load up with tons of provisions. Ergo, I'm thinking as per what I was saying to Fast, that the overloading thing, if you think it through, may well be overstated, particularly if you are just that little bit careful when it comes to over buying before you set out. I know this is hard for many Americans to grasp but you can actually buy toilet paper outside of NYC or LA.

It seems to me that far to many of us insist on a boat that will go round Cape Horn in a blizzard yet rarely, if ever venture out of home waters. Even then its likely we'll be following the sun. Few cruisers venture into iceberg territory.

The roll over and die argument agin cats has always felt a wee bit iffy to me. Of course its possible and of course it happens but plenty of mono hulls go to the bottom as well while the is at least a good change that an upside down cat will stay afloat.

( I have seen a couple of reports of cat hitting something and then sinking but such a fate could just as easily strike a mono .... unless of course she's a Malo which as we all know are indestructible. )

Andrew B

"Those who do not observe the impulses of their own mind must of necessity be unhappy." Marcus Aurelius
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook