SailNet Community - View Single Post - Lets have a chat about multis.
View Single Post
Old 02-06-2013
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Re: Lets have a chat about multis.

Geoff .... your post nails one of our chief concerns with cats, its hard for a lifetime mono sailor to acquire any real affection for them.

Paulo ... were we to ever consider going multi the accomodation would be one of the major selling points. I know you spend more time on your boat than we do but even so we usually get in a couple of short cruises , total around six weeks, plus we spend around three out of every four weekends on board even through winter and in summer tending towards three day weekends as well. Sydney is a moderate climate, we have a nice long hottish summer that in reality covers the end of spring and the beginning of autumn so easily five months of good weather with a relatively mild winter. Nonetheless we still spend the vast majority of our time at anchor. A forty foot cat murders our 42' mono as far as living area is concerned.

Regarding performance I'd have thought that once you get into the 40' range a comparable loa cat would outperform a mono in pretty much all conditions though e.g a Lagoon may not fall into that category. Certainly the cat we paced ourselves against last month was our equal hard on the wind and simply walked away when reaching.

I know it may as if I am trying to sell something but really for the first time I took a real interest in the cats around us this year and yes they did make a positive impression on me. Not they will are likely to change our ride. Looking at things like e.g Leopards indicates that such a move would easily double what we paid for the Malo. Bit rich for me I think.

Nonetheless the discussion interests me.

“Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.” Terry Pratchett
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook