SailNet Community - View Single Post - cleaning air filter on perkins 401-8
View Single Post
Old 02-06-2013
Old as Dirt!

svHyLyte is on a distinguished road
Re: cleaning air filter on perkins 401-8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonr575 View Post
Very informative. I didnt know my motor did that. I am in new england and sometimes she is hard to start so i think i will stick with what i have. Is there something i should paint the cap with that the mineral spirits wont desolve and will protect from rust. Seems silly to have to paint it every time i clean it. Thanks for the info.
Normally, mineral spirits will have no effect on the paint that's on the Mushroom Cap/Screen. If it really needs painting, one can obtain a can of the spray paint that matches the original Perkins paint from Transatlantic Diesel (Google). One could also simply use a near matching color spray epoxy "Exhaust Header" paint from Lowes/Home Depot/Discount Auto although you'd need to do a good de-greasing job on the cap/screen for that to adhere properly. Mineral spirits followed up with Acetone and a little roughing up with 220 sand-paper. Go easy on the screen to ensure that doesn't get gummed up/obstructed and stuff some paper towel shreds in the breather pipe tube to keep that clear.

Good luck...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook