SailNet Community - View Single Post - Keel Bolts
Thread: Keel Bolts
View Single Post
Old 02-06-2013

Ajay73 is on a distinguished road
Re: Keel Bolts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Sail View Post
Yep holes filled with epoxy, barrel bolt set in about 1/8" from edge of keel, torqued correctly, no plywood left in bilge.... It was always the very forward one on both sides that had weeps. After haul out there would be a faint wet ring and by spring a decent crack around the hole edges.... I suspect when you put lead, bronze and epoxy all with differing expansion traits, plus the movement of a keel and the loads it makes it hard for the epoxy to survive.. I even thickened it with milled fibers and cabosil on one attempt....
MS, when you did this work to your C30, did you drill all new holes(C30's have 8 bolts, I believe)? If so how did you place the new bolt holes, in the same pattern as the originals, only a little in front of or behind the orginals. I assume you did not remove the old keel bolts. For the bolts that were in pairs(side by side) did you put the new ones in the same (side by side) or offset a little bit so as to not have those windows in the same plane, so to speak. I have seen this as a recommendation on some website and it seems to make some sense to me. I can't see a downside to it.

In my case I think I will put the additional two bolts staggared fore and aft a little (3-4 inches) so that I can move them in a little more toward the centerline of the keel. On my boat the existing pairs are set quite wide in the sump and can't be very far from the outside of the lead.

Thanks for your comments.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook