SailNet Community - View Single Post - Lets have a chat about multis.
View Single Post
post #21 of Old 02-06-2013
chucklesR

Re: Lets have a chat about multis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MokaKat View Post
chucklesR,
As a prior owner of a Gemini, would you buy another one? How was the quality? We plan on buying our first large cruiser, after having smaller monohulls, and spend a couple of years in the caribbean. We have been looking at Fountaine Pajot and Lagoon in the 35 to 38 foot range. I spent a week on a Fountaine 42 last October, and was impressed on the stability and performance. It did struggle on being close hauled (45 degrees). My budget is between $150,000 and $200,000, depending on whether it is ready to cruise. Originally thought that I would consider the Gemini, but thought that they seems to be a little light weight for what I was wanting to do. Since we are 6 months away from having to make any decision, I am open to opinions.
In short, no, I would not. I'd save a little for a heavier CRUISING catamaran. As I said above when they try to stick a racer/cruiser moniker on a boat you wind up with a compromised boat.

Gemini's are faster because they have a 8.76 :1 ratio length to beam on the hulls. Unfortunately the max beam is 4 feet. Pounds per inch immersion is only 450 pounds per hull.
That is the major indicator of how much weight affects performance.

Take the same money (225k for a loaded, new Gemini) and apply it to a used FP, Maxium 38 etc and you'll be happier.

Lessons learned are opportunities earned.
Quote Share with Facebook

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome