SailNet Community - View Single Post - Lets have a chat about multis.
View Single Post
Old 02-06-2013
Senior Pirate

TropicCat is on a distinguished road
Re: Lets have a chat about multis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP View Post
...The fact they have not much thing to say about sailing is give you a hint that these boats are not designed to give pleasure as sailing boats. They work alright on autopilot and sail you to where you want to go but they are really about space and quality life at anchor. It seems they fit perfectly your bill...
Where are all the sailnet catamaran people?

If you enjoy the 'feel of a boat' while sailing, a catamaran is not for you. Think of them as your home away from home which doesn't roll at anchor or DDW. I do agree with chuckles that cats do heel, but in my case it takes 22 knots of wind under full sail to get to a measurable heel.

As for speed, this is debatable. As several have noted, some catamarans can be very sensitive to weight. Look at the fineness of the hulls and whether or not the boat has a hard chine. Fatter hulls and hulls with a hard chine handle weight better than slender hulled boats with some sacrifice in performance.

I don't sail for speed. I love my boat because of the comfort it delivers. At the end of the day there isn't a mono guy in my marina that wouldn't trade boats with me in a heartbeat.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by TropicCat; 02-06-2013 at 03:43 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook