SailNet Community - View Single Post - Hello New To The Forum
View Single Post
Old 02-06-2013
1977 Island Trader Ketch

mikecoder3 is on a distinguished road
Hello New To The Forum

Hello I have never sailed before. I will be taking lessons. I put the cart before the horse and purchased an Island Trader 37 foot built in 1977. I know I am going to enjoy the retro fit upcoming. The boat will be on the hard by the end of April in South west Florida. I will be doing most of the rehab myself in the heat of Florida's summer...I will probably loose 30 unwanted pounds while I bake inside my boat for the interior work needed. Being a "Leaky Teaky" , I have a lot of rotted plywood to replace. The original Teak deck has been pulled up, and most of the grassing has already been done. there are a few soft spots on the deck that need addressing, and I will be sealing the deck with a a product a fellow boat owner has used on his leaky boat deck in Seattle. the sealer will go over the existing new fiberglass and for sure solve any new potential leaks. I still have to address my original bronze windows that are leaking from the frame. the actual window seals have been done, but I have to pull the old 36 year old windows frames out and re seal them...would love any tips from any of you on this. another problem I have is the engine has to be hooked up and new mounts made. A replacement diesel is sitting inside the boat now: A 1982 Universal Atomic Kubota 1501B model 40 universal...Can any of you turn me onto a good parts source that is affordable? the old model #5432? I have been told I will have a hard time getting this engine connected and that parts are rare and hard to come by? Do any of you run this type motor and if so any info you can share with me would be great !!!!!!! I am open to all input and suggestions. Thanks so very much. If there are any 1977 Island trader owners out there please respond. I need much advice and part sources for windows, latches, hinges and interior needs. thanks so very much. Love the original Teak on this boat!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook