SailNet Community - View Single Post - Newbe with no experience buys big boat
View Single Post
Old 02-06-2013

Jbaffoh is on a distinguished road
Newbe with no experience buys big boat

I read the Kindle version, and it was a good read.

To whoever doubted the Joyce character, I thought she was probably the most realistic character in the book. I know, and have worked with, a dozen of her. As I read, I saw her face and heard her voice.

I vehemently disagree with Glenn's assessment of standard marine heads and holding tanks, however. My standard Jabsco hand-pumped head is odorless. The key is a little simple maintenance--i.e., ensure no crap is left in the hoses by flushing everything into the tank. Pump out the tank regularly, and never leave anything in it for long periods of disuse. Before any period of disuse, pump fresh water through the hoses (I have a valve that allows me to pump from the head sink to the toilet). Rinse out the tank with fresh water a couple times, and, once clean, leave it full of fresh water, not dry. This keeps any residual paper or crap from hardening into paper mâché, which will eventually cause clogs. It's much simpler than maintaining compost and avoiding the runs, and I don't even have that Home Depot garden smell.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook