SailNet Community - View Single Post - Summer 2013 New England SailNet Rendezvous
View Single Post
Old 02-06-2013

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Re: Summer 2013 New England SailNet Rendezvous

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougSabbag View Post
So far the response has been HUGE for this idea! I don't think there will be enough room for all of us to anchor there.

Personally I thought MV would be a good target spot.

If you'd be coming from the South, it is often a great cruise inside Long Island to MV.
And, from the North we have the choice of using the Cape Cod Canal, or coming outside the Cape.
Doug,

Whos responding? I only see your posts here? It might be good if they are responding in PM to use the destinations site and have the mods make uit a sticky so it alwasy stays at the top of the posting

The idea of a Sailnet Rondevous is a really good one. We here on the Chesapeake have been doing it for 5 years now and have a very active core group which helps organize it. We have had up to 15 boats and 30 other boat owners who are SN members come. We already have over 25 boats and 30 other boats owners pledged to come by land this year and its only Febraruy so it looks like we may excedd 100 participants this year which would be a record

Just a few suggestions for what has made ours sucecesfully. You can take them or leave them:

We have found that you get the most participation when you chose a site which has both sea as well as land acccessability. Many people are not retired or have the time to make a few day trip to it, but certainly are willing to meet some of the others by car. Even the weekenders unless close by wont be able to come and get back easily. Your locations that youve proposed while picturesque will automatically limit your participation.

It is also advantangeous to have a land based cocktail/ cookout party so people can mingle. We are able to do it in open covered area in case the weathers bad and have BBQ grills and picnic table. Its really hard to raft or jumop between boats and meet a lot of people.

We all bring a dish, usually salad accompanyment or dessert. I think this year we may do an optional Sunday AM breakfast too.

We have one person who is in charge of burgers and dogs and keep it simple. The fun is the meeting and mingling. We have found it important to have it well organized and usually one of us takes the lead. I do at the June 8 one and take care of slips for others, directions etc and also organize the food generally not assigbning but keeping everyone informed periodically what each is bringing so we dont end up with 25 different recipes for 3 bean salad etc. e also do a BYOB, but last year Travneasy ( Gary) brought some killer homeade kaluah)

There are so many active people here we redo this event a few times during the year too and differing people take that lead role which really helps it become successful.

Hope this helps in some way.

here is the current running Chessie 2013 5th Annual Rondevous Thread

2013 5th Annual Sailnet Chesapeake Rondevous- June 8, 2013

dave

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook