SailNet Community - View Single Post - Keel Bolts
Thread: Keel Bolts
View Single Post
Old 02-06-2013

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
Re: Keel Bolts

" haven't replaced my standing rigging but I pulled it all and had it checked by a rigger. Checked out fine."
That means nothing. CCF is tied to sudden failure, and unless every piece was magnafluxed or dye checked or x-rayed--each and every one--a visual inspection is meaningless. That means not just the rigging, but the turnbuckles and eyes and everything from the chainplates up. I don't think any agency or organization would suggest going more than 20 years without replacing it all, regardless of how little or lightly it was used.

"As far as keel repairs go any prospective buyer will already see that"
Sorry, but the typical buyer won't be YOU. It will be someone who only sees and understands that something was wrong, something was changed, and now they have to assume it might have been fixed correctly--or not. There will always be some question of what was done, why it was done, and whether it was done correctly. After all, you are not a professional yard, you're "some guy". Can they assume you did it correctly?

if this really is an issue with all Cat27s, that's something else again, as you say. But if the only issue was rotting plywood floors, the qurestion comes back, why more keel bolts? Folks just don't do that unless there's a problem.

"I'm kind of amazed how everyone is so intent on trying to tell me why I shouldn't do this. Don't we want to bullet proof our boats?" Nope. We're sailors or boaters, not Yachtsmen. We're cheap. We don't spend lots of time and money on stuff that makes no difference, like extra keel bolts when the original ones are just fine. And, you're not bullet-proofing the boat if the time and money spent on the keel bolts is tilting at a windmill.

Keel bolts? If they are needed, the procedure is normally to drop the keel, clean out the joint, rebed it completely, and then bolt it back up with whatever is needed. If you want to do it that way, you can rebed with 5200 and even if all the bolts fail, the keel will stay attached. That's bullet-proof. Two more bolts? Gilding the lilly.

Amazed? Well, if the chorus thinks you are wasting time and money...maybe the chorus is wrong. Or maybe, their collective experience is worth considering. Your boat, your choice. I'd spend the time and money on the standing rigging, rudder, stanchions or deck core, other issues that always come up first.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook