SailNet Community - View Single Post - Frozen rudder shaft Hinterhoeller 28
View Single Post
Old 02-06-2013

rbyham is on a distinguished road
Re: Frozen rudder shaft Hinterhoeller 28

Well some real progress today... sort of. The day started great. Got to the boat and began wiggling the rudder from below. Suddenly I noticed it was walking down out of the boat a bit. So some more wiggling eventually brought the whole rudder out of the boat. So that part is done. However, as I looked down in the hull at the now rudder tube, the box/bearing was still stuck on the top of the tube (see picture). And it is stuck fast. I suspect the aluminum box/bearing and SS shaft have galled big time. So what now? I heated it, Kroiled it, and wrenched it but no luck. I think I am at the point where the rudder tube needs to come out. So I worked on the 4 bolts holding the rube to the hull. They came apart easy enough but two of them the bolt spun with the nut. Looking outside (see picture) I noticed indication on outside of the hull of all four bolts. Anyway two came off form inside and two are spinning. I am wondering do I now knock those bolts out through the hull to release the tube?

The tube from below appears to be SS with some sort of fiber inner bearing. That inner bearing appears to be either fiberglass or some sort of plastic. Should that all just come out so I can get back to bear hull with 4 bolt holes and one large rudder tube hole that will let me start all over with some other sort of fix? Anyone thinking this is becoming a job for a boatyard to do? My skills are somewhat limited (as is my money) and I do not want to do anything that could endanger later. So far I am fine with the level of skill required but this next step which could end up leaving holes in the hull feels like a different animal. Whatcha think??? Thanks all. See photos for better understanding.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Today 1.jpg (38.8 KB, 42 views)
File Type: jpg Today 2.jpg (35.4 KB, 41 views)
File Type: jpg Today 3.jpg (24.7 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg Today 4.jpg (41.0 KB, 39 views)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook