SailNet Community - View Single Post - Lets have a chat about multis.
View Single Post
Old 02-06-2013

PCP will become famous soon enough
Re: Lets have a chat about multis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdw View Post
LOA ... I'd thought that circa 40' had bought us into the range of big enough to avoid the downsides of a small cat. If it is so that nothing under 50' will suffice then I lose interest very rapidly indeed. I wouldn't go to a 50' mono so a 50' cat is most assuredly out of the question. Paulo's suggestion therefore that 40' is simply not big enough does concern me.

Sailing enjoyment ... despite saying that we spend 90% of our time at anchor most of our sailing (other than a harbour day sail) is coastal and I do enjoy my sailing. Having never sailed a large multi I'll be very interested to see how I feel about it. Geoff and a couple of others downplay the sailing enjoyment, that is of some concern.

Maybe I was not clear. When I said that a 40ft cat is not big enough I was talking about a voyage cat, a cat designed with passage making in mind. A boat like yours is in my opinion more seaworthy than a 40ft cat. A 40ft cat is perfectly capable as a coastal cruiser and even as an offshore boat, only in a less extent than a 40ft typical cruiser boat.

Putting it another way: A good 30ft monohull can pass EC certification as a Class A boat, I don't believe a 30ft cat would be able to do that.

But not all are the same. It is not only the boards but also the windage and a high CG. I guess that if you try a lagoon style cat you are going to be bored unless you don't enjoy sailing. It will not make a substantial difference in speed regarding your boat.

Australia has some great cruising cats. See if you can try one of these:

Schionning Designs from Julie Geldard on Vimeo.

Schionning Wilderness 40 cruising catamaran | Multihull Yacht Sales Australia

Regards

Paulo
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook