SailNet Community - View Single Post - Frozen rudder shaft Hinterhoeller 28
View Single Post
Old 02-06-2013
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough
Re: Frozen rudder shaft Hinterhoeller 28

I'd get rid of the metal tube and replace it with a glass tube thoroughly glassed and gusseted to the hull on the inside. If the quadrant height is far enough above the waterline you wouldn't even have to have a stuffing box - my Columbia 43 didn't - the quadrant bolted to the underside of the cockpit and the tube came right up to the bottom of the quadrant. There was a top bearing and emergency tiller attachment flush with the cockpit sole. A very simple installation. If the tube is kept as tight as possible without interference to the shaft, even in the worst possible conditions, only a very minor amount of water could squeeze its way into the boat. Essentially the entire tube becomes a bushing surface for the shaft instead of it being supported merely at the ends.

If you can find some manufactured glass tube with the right I/D to fit your shaft, buy a piece long enough and glass it in. If you can't find the right I/D, make your own, right on the shaft as I described earlier in this thread.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken, opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook