SailNet Community - View Single Post - Newbe with no experience buys big boat
View Single Post
Old 02-06-2013

glenndamato is on a distinguished road
Re: Newbe with no experience buys big boat

Silvio,

Thanks for reading the book! Glad to hear you liked it. I don't care what Joyce says, my version is the way it actually happened!! ; > )

Seriously, I have only been in touch with Joyce a few times over the past eight years (the voyage in the book took place in 2004). She is still sailing actively. Joyce is not her actual name, by the way - all of the characters except Duffy, Jon, Tweety and my brother and his family underwent a name change. Everything else about them - age, appearance, personality, is as it was in real life.

Joyce knows about the book and we swaped a couple of emails but after the book came out she did not respond any longer. I have an old email for Doug that hasn't worked in a while - he is over 70, and I believe he has health problems. I have tried to make him aware of the book but I don't know if I got through.

You're right, sailnet is great - I wish I knew about this in 2002-03-04 - I probably did but it was one of the many things that had to be sacrificed to do more boat work.

I do want to get out there again - writing the book (which I did at the request (demand) of friends) rekindled the old call. Is that a good thing or a bad thing? I have a very good tech job, and if I leave it at age 52 I will most likely never see another job like that ever again. That sounds wimpy, I know, but I don't have any assets for my retirement - no real estate, wealthy parents with a will, etc. I have to think about staying out of a state run nursing home, and if you've ever seen one, you'd know why.

If I can just generate an income stream outside of my regular work, I can afford to get something like a Catalina 36 around ten years old for cash (good deals now abound) and live aboard, if I can find a spot on the west coast, and then seasonally migrate between California, Mexico, Hawaii, maybe Puget/Seattle/Vancouver. Gotta have that income stream first, because I don't want to end up indigent (been there, done that).

Keep in touch!

Following seas,

Glenn
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook