SailNet Community - View Single Post - Newbe with no experience buys big boat
View Single Post
post #170 of Old 02-06-2013
glenndamato

Re: Newbe with no experience buys big boat

Silvio,

Thanks for reading the book! Glad to hear you liked it. I don't care what Joyce says, my version is the way it actually happened!! ; > )

Seriously, I have only been in touch with Joyce a few times over the past eight years (the voyage in the book took place in 2004). She is still sailing actively. Joyce is not her actual name, by the way - all of the characters except Duffy, Jon, Tweety and my brother and his family underwent a name change. Everything else about them - age, appearance, personality, is as it was in real life.

Joyce knows about the book and we swaped a couple of emails but after the book came out she did not respond any longer. I have an old email for Doug that hasn't worked in a while - he is over 70, and I believe he has health problems. I have tried to make him aware of the book but I don't know if I got through.

You're right, sailnet is great - I wish I knew about this in 2002-03-04 - I probably did but it was one of the many things that had to be sacrificed to do more boat work.

I do want to get out there again - writing the book (which I did at the request (demand) of friends) rekindled the old call. Is that a good thing or a bad thing? I have a very good tech job, and if I leave it at age 52 I will most likely never see another job like that ever again. That sounds wimpy, I know, but I don't have any assets for my retirement - no real estate, wealthy parents with a will, etc. I have to think about staying out of a state run nursing home, and if you've ever seen one, you'd know why.

If I can just generate an income stream outside of my regular work, I can afford to get something like a Catalina 36 around ten years old for cash (good deals now abound) and live aboard, if I can find a spot on the west coast, and then seasonally migrate between California, Mexico, Hawaii, maybe Puget/Seattle/Vancouver. Gotta have that income stream first, because I don't want to end up indigent (been there, done that).

Keep in touch!

Following seas,

Glenn
Quote Share with Facebook

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome