Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Anacortes PNW
Thanked 124 Times in 112 Posts
Rep Power: 9
Re: Boom rise with reefing... How much?
You didn't mention easing the main halyard to allow the reef tack to come down to the boom as you haul in on the reefing line(s). If you have jiffy reefing or single line reefing, this would explain why your boom is pointing to the sky.
So, the question is: are you bringing the reef tack down to the boom when you reef?
Here is how I reef.
1. Head into wind.
2. Release mainsheet
3. Lower halyard (topping lift supports boom)
4. Attach tack hook at gooseneck to new reef tack on sail at first reef
5. Crank in on jiffy reefing line until first reef clew meets boom (boom rises)
6. Raise halyard to take out slack
7. Bring in mainsheet
8. Resume course and trim appropriately
I put 5 & 6 separate because now that I think of it, I can't remember for sure which one of those I do before the other.... I'll have to go reef at the dock this weekend.
I have a sauna on my boat, therefore I win.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.