SailNet Community - View Single Post - Chesapeake Bay, Western Shore Marinas
View Single Post
Old 02-07-2013

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Re: Chesapeake Bay, Western Shore Marinas

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingNwing View Post
We're at Port Annapolis, average depth of our slip is 10'. Really like the facility and the ambiance of a well-run working yard. Admittedly, there are many places that are less expensive, but when you're living aboard full time, paying extra for location is a different calculation than if you're storing a boat you visit on weekends.
Wow I was kind of suprised to see you post the way it was worded. We are friends so I dont want to offend. But I have to ask- Is that what you as a liveaboard thinks of us other boaters, that we are "storing" our boats? Almost sounds like we are less than or not as serious as a liveaboard. Thats kind of a sterotype, and one which I dont think is accurate. I also dont think its accurate to say that our priorities are necessarily different than yours living because we dont live aboard. They may be different because as individual people we have different priorites where we live and play. Price driven certainly is not the only one even for us who " store " our boats. maybe i am reading what you mean wrong here. I never thought there were inherent difference in why a liveaboard vs a weekend boater would chose a marina with virtually the same amenities other than "vibe" and price.

For Donna and I, and I am sure others there are many factors, the largest factor being the type of marina and the "vibe" of it. We certainly can afford marinas in Annappolis, but really perfer a quiet laid back smaller place was what we were looking for. We preferred being in a small cove in nature surrounded by treees, vs a mega marina 1000 masts and hustle and bustle of a city. We didnt want to hear sirens or construction. We bought our house similarly near a big city, but abutting farmland where there was peace and quiet.

In Annapolis you pay for the expensive inflated real estate which the marina costs and if you like living in a city environment it is one of the nicest cities to live in. Its location as you put it does not present an advantage to us. We visit there to see you guys, anchor in the spring and fall when it is less crowded and of course visit the best Boat show on the East Coast in October. If I ever was going to keep my boat in Annapolis, your mainia is without a doubt the best and I recomend it to anyone who must have that Annapolis address or zip code and likes that style of living. There certainly is a lot to do. Great nightlife, restaurants suck though for such an important city.

We also have liveaboards where our boat is kept and they like the quiet atmosphere as there reason for staying there. We have working marinas on our creek for repairs and the labor prices are sometimes $40 less/ hr over the inflated Annapolis prices.

I will start another thread with a survey to see what are the reasons people choose a marina/ club

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner

Last edited by chef2sail; 02-07-2013 at 03:19 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook