SailNet Community - View Single Post - Looking to Purchase Cheoy 38 Offshore & Looking 4 Advice
View Single Post
Old 02-07-2013

Paul Ames is on a distinguished road
Re: Looking to Purchase Cheoy 38 Offshore & Looking 4 Advice

Hi Google Cheoy Offshore 38 , "Quest". It is in serious need of TLC. You will have to replace the spars to begin with. Look it up.I owned a CL 38 for 15 years. I cried the day I sold it. It was a gem and I singlehanded it with ease. I hated the isusu motor but it was indistructable. The electrical panel needs to be upgraded and the battery box expanded. I doubled the insulation in the ice box and added a refrideration unit. I have sailed it in 50 knot winds with comfort and confidence with a storm jib up running down wind. I have sailed it in a whisper with a genicer and autopilot and read a good book for the day. If you get one you would be fool to let loose of it. Ray Richards did a superb job on the hull lines and the boat sits the water like it was born there. Do not put a wood stick on it. It will be much stiffer on a beat with an aluminum stick. I miss mine now after selling it 20 years ago.

Paul Ames
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook