View Single Post
Old 02-07-2013

jasenj1 is on a distinguished road
Re: Newbie from Southern Chesapeake Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmhead View Post
Racing a J30 should provide some tales.
Not too many so far.
We've had one or two unintentional jibes - ouch!
And we got hit by another boat - while we were the committee boat! The other boat crossed the finish line, stalled, and drifted back into us. New bow pulpit for us was the damage.

The only scar I have is from helping out on a different boat one day. Our boat had too many people (a rarity!) and another boat with only two on board came by and asked if we could spare some crew. The very good sailor in our group and myself jumped aboard. We got a little cocky and tried to put up the asymmetrical spinnaker. With only four onboard, we were still short-handed, and with only one sailor really knowing the boat, and the wind being a little stronger than we thought, things quickly got out of hand. I ended up on the bow trying to blow the spinnaker. The shackle blew open just before I got there and I got nasty rope burn on the side of my knee as the spinnaker sheet went flying. We spent a few minutes with the spinnaker flying like a giant flag. Not good! Things could have gotten ugly, but we recovered with no damage.
Lesson learned: On an unfamiliar boat, be conservative!

Racing is certainly an intense learning environment. But it lacks the ability to mess around and experiment with sail shape, etc. You're always trying to do things RIGHT, Right Now!

- Jasen.

P.S. Yes, I'm trying to get my post count up so I can take advantage of all the features here.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook