SailNet Community - View Single Post - Interesting Sailboats
View Single Post
Old 02-07-2013

PCP will become famous soon enough
Re: Interesting Sailboats

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdw View Post
While we were away we ran into these guys fitting out this boat before heading down to Melbourne for the start of the Melbourne - Osaka two handed.

The Boat | Funnelweb

Mind you, no matter what they say .... in a pigs eye is this my idea of a good cruising boat.
And that make sense. You are 90% of the time in your boat at anchor, these guys seem to be 90% of their time in the boat sailing and some of that time racing. It would be expected that what fits your bill is not what fits their's. Let's accept what they say and that for them this is a surprisingly good cruising boat.

It is a rare thing when a person can say, “ if I was building another boat today I would build funnelweb all over again”. She represents the culmination of twenty years of experience gained from living on, building and generally messing about in boats.

Working closely with Robert Hick, who is the designer and builder, we were able to launch a boat that has proven to be fast, responsive and a safe passage maker.

After having completed 26,000 miles she is currently being totally refitted in readiness for her next big adventure, the Melbourne to Osaka and Transpac races.

With five watertight bulkheads, and six water ballast tanks, her interior is small by comparison to other fifteen metre yachts but she is surprisingly comfortable for a crew of six.

Although a true racing boat she has also proven to be equally at home as a cruising boat on many of the return delivery trips from various races most notably on her return from Japan after the 2003 Melbourne to Osaka visiting many exotic pacific islands and giving her crew at the time some truly memorable experiences.

The Boat | Funnelweb

In fact I know a guy (a very experienced sailor) that is circumnavigating with the family (young kids) on an adapted 40class racer. He chose that boat because it is fast, safe, has lots of space and is affordable comparing with it has to offer. Off course this makes only sense because he is most of the time sailing. He is not the only one that is doing extensive cruising and circumnavigating on an adapted 40class racer.

It seems crazy to you that someone can say that this sailboat is an interesting cruising boat and I understand. In fact that has to do with the way one uses the boat. Even for me that sail 30 or 40% of the time I am in the boat (counting night time) that is a too extreme boat for me in what regards interior coziness but I have no doubt that sail a lot more time than me.

Some in this thread, like Eric, choose for cruising, boats that can be compared with that one (even if more cruising friendly) and they are not used for racing as that one is also used.

Regards

Paulo

Last edited by PCP; 02-07-2013 at 11:14 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook