SailNet Community - View Single Post - Criteria for choosing a marina/ yacht club
View Single Post
post #7 of Old 02-07-2013
Re: Criteria for choosing a marina/ yacht club

Location, location, location. Not meaning it has to be popular, but meaning it should be a good port: protected from the elements, a reasonable approach and reasonable proximity to places I want to go.

Next, it has to be in reasonable repair. I don't want wobbly docks that one nearly falls in the water while transiting or lack proper protection or power/water fails continuously.

Shore toilet/shower facilities (guests really like a break from showering aboard, sometimes I do too)

Desirables, but not deal killers:

Onsite service staff (but they need to be good or are just an impediment to getting the right talent)

Onsite fuel/pumpout

Basic parts supplies available (oil, filters, clevis pins)

Friendly staff

Mix of power and sail, which seems to allow for better overall comradery when there is a balance of power.

Entirely optional:

Pool, restaurant. Nice to have, but don't care.

No control whatsoever:

Price. Around here, you generally get on a waiting list to get even some of the above requirements, so you pay the going rate or you don't. I know of a couple of untouchable marinas that price strictly for the uber-rich transients, but I woudn't want to be there permanently anyway.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Quote Share with Facebook
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome