SailNet Community - View Single Post - Criteria for choosing a marina/ yacht club
View Single Post
Old 02-07-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Re: Criteria for choosing a marina/ yacht club

Priorities:

Location, location, location. Not meaning it has to be popular, but meaning it should be a good port: protected from the elements, a reasonable approach and reasonable proximity to places I want to go.

Next, it has to be in reasonable repair. I don't want wobbly docks that one nearly falls in the water while transiting or lack proper protection or power/water fails continuously.

Shore toilet/shower facilities (guests really like a break from showering aboard, sometimes I do too)

Desirables, but not deal killers:

Onsite service staff (but they need to be good or are just an impediment to getting the right talent)

Parking

Onsite fuel/pumpout

Basic parts supplies available (oil, filters, clevis pins)

Friendly staff

Mix of power and sail, which seems to allow for better overall comradery when there is a balance of power.

Entirely optional:

Pool, restaurant. Nice to have, but don't care.

No control whatsoever:

Price. Around here, you generally get on a waiting list to get even some of the above requirements, so you pay the going rate or you don't. I know of a couple of untouchable marinas that price strictly for the uber-rich transients, but I woudn't want to be there permanently anyway.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook