SailNet Community - View Single Post - Anchor Chain Size/Lenghth Suggestions (again)
View Single Post
Old 02-07-2013

nolesailor is on a distinguished road
Anchor Chain Size/Lenghth Suggestions (again)

Hello All,

I know this has been asked and answered extensively here (and elsewhere) and I certainly don't mean to be rehashing the same topic, but I am replacing my anchor and rode and would appreciate comments/suggestions concerning the size/diameter of anchor chain. Boat is a Catalina 28, dry displacement of 8600 pounds, closer to 11500 probably with us an everything else on it. Current anchor is a 22 lb Bruce knockoff with 20' feet of chain and 200' of 1/2 inch rode...unsure of the chain diameter.

Anchor will be replaced with a 25 lb Manson Supreme...now..as far as the diameter/length of chain, I was planning on 30' of 1/4 inch G4...with 180' of 1/2 inch nylon rode (deepest water for anchoring will be around 20-22'). I do not have a windlass. Question is...should I up the 1/4 in to 5/16 inch? The larger chain will have more weight on the bow and on the sea floor. I've read the articles on the Rocna site on how the weight of the chain does not really improve the holding power/angle of the anchor as it is stretched tight...I've also read numerous comments with opposing theories and how the weight is helpful in improving the angle.

So...is 5/16 overkill? Should I up the length of chain...to say 40' and go with 1/4 inch? I will mostly be overnighting for a day or two and will be close to home port...so do not plan on being out in 60 knot winds. I would say the most would be 30-35 knots associated with the passing thunderstorms ever so prevalent down here in FL.

Any thoughts/suggestions would be greatly appreciated...

Thanks...
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook