SailNet Community - View Single Post - Criteria for choosing a marina/ yacht club
View Single Post
Old 02-07-2013

PalmettoSailor will become famous soon enough
Re: Criteria for choosing a marina/ yacht club

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4arch View Post
Proximity to sailing, price, and proximity to home are my top three, in that order. Being in a marina that had a working yard was important initially as we gained confidence in doing a lot of our own work but that's becoming less important. When we stay in a transient slip amenities, atmosphere, and environment definitely take precedence.
I guess these are among my top "wants" as well though I guess proximity to home trumps in my case. If it were just access to what I consider the finest part of the bay, the boat would be back down in Deltaville but the boat is closer to home than that (and still in a pretty decent sailing area).

We're on our 4th marina since we started boating. In each case we considered way more than three factors to decide. How protected the slips are, how easy they are to enter and exit, access to the boat from car, access to land amenities from the slip, the atmosphere of the marina drive time from home and price all go into the mix and have been weighted differently in each case.

We have been tempted on two occasions to join yacht clubs, but like a confirmed bachelor, eventually backed out due to fear of the percieved commitment. If I lived where I could sail from Deltaville I would join Fishing Bay Yacht Club as it is the model of what I'd want from such an organization.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook