SailNet Community - View Single Post - Anchor Chain Size/Lenghth Suggestions (again)
View Single Post
Old 02-07-2013
Learning the HARD way...

eherlihy will become famous soon enough
Re: Anchor Chain Size/Lenghth Suggestions (again)

I think that the 25lb Manson is a good choice for your boat. If I were you, I would up the chain to 5/16". My reasoning is that the weight difference is not all that great 0.37lb/ft (0.63lb/ft for ¼" and 1lb/ft for 5/16"), and the tensile breaking strength goes from 5000lb to 7600lb. Because the safe working load is somewhere around 50% of the breaking strength, and because it will not improve with age, I think that the difference in price (about $1/ft) is well worth it.

FWIW, I have a 30' 5/16" leader on my anchor for a 35' boat (33lb Rocna as the anchor), AND I have a 10' length of ½" chain that I attach between the leader, and the nylon double braid rode if I think that I need extra holding power. The heavier chain is not used for the increased tensile strength, but for the shock absorption that it provides as the boat is pushed back on the rode by wind and waves. Think of it as an in-line kellet. I don't use it unless I think that I need it because it weighs a lot, and my only windlass (me) is getting old.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, ASA 101/103/104/105 Certified Instructor - Also certified in Recreational Marine Electrical Systems

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Getting back onto the water after undergoing knee surgery.

Last edited by eherlihy; 02-07-2013 at 10:41 AM. Reason: Punctuation...
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook