SailNet Community - View Single Post - Anchor Chain Size/Lenghth Suggestions (again)
View Single Post
Old 02-07-2013
Break, curse, fix, repeat

bwindrope is on a distinguished road
Re: Anchor Chain Size/Lenghth Suggestions (again)

Seems to me like you are looking at a solid set up. Enough chain, not too much, and enough rode. And a solid anchor. These new anchors are ridiculous in the improvement of holding power. I recently upgraded my trusty 35# CQR to a 35# Mantus, and that darn thing just digs in so fast and deep that it just about knocks me off the deck when I tug back to set it. It has really changed my thinking about the amount of chain necessary, like what Rocna says on their site.

I've found that the Mantus will not move, period, and that I have to be 1:1 with my Lofrans Tigres windlass before it will pop free. So the good news is it digs in and stays put, even on short scope. The trade off is unlike my CQR it does not lift casually off the ocean floor.

Without a windlass, expect to have to do some serious yanking, or motoring, to free your Manson from the sea floor.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook