SailNet Community - View Single Post - ? Sail from Lake Erie to Florida late August
View Single Post
Old 02-07-2013

miatapaul is on a distinguished road
Re: ? Sail from Lake Erie to Florida late August

Quote:
Originally Posted by sony2000 View Post
Going south from Sorel, Quebec, was used as one alternative to the closed Erie Canal a couple of years back. In Virginia, the Chesapeake Railway Marina is excellent and not at all expensive on the hard. Liveaboards on the hard, are well accepted.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
Do you mean living aboard, while up on stands? I can hardly imagine any living accommodation with greater challenges. Virginia would be a bit more temperate than here, however, in the water the hull can't generally get below freezing. No lowerr limit to the temp of the keel in the air and it acts as a huge heat sink. I imagine the heat would never stop running on cold days. Then, climbing and descending a ladder rountinely in the winter. Ooph. I like all things sailing, but I've found my limit.

I do recall a family friend that lived aboard over the winter, but the boat was kept indoors.
Yea, living on the hard does not sound pleasant. I could only see doing it if I were doing repairs on the bottom. Lots of people think it would be better to be on the hard in winter, but water is a lot warmer than air during the winter! I think few yards will let you do it so it is good to know of a few that may allow it. The thought of having to climb down a ladder and walk across a parking lot to use the head, is a lot worse than the furthest slip! Especially in the winter.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook