SailNet Community - View Single Post - Poor 'none' Factory Response
View Single Post
post #9 of Old 12-21-2006
DaveMancini

Rick,
I'm glad you were able to connect. I went through the factory only because when I called there in April, they took the ball and ran with it. I think it would be different now because Allan Poole is more dealer oriented and would probably have directed me to a dealer. Yes, we can barely contain ourselves and the stress. Allan says having a boat built is like having a baby, joyous, but stressful.

The boat's name will be the Swan. We will immediately prepare her for a circumnavigation beginning in May or November depending upon whether we can beat the hurricane season or not. Having cruised bluewater before, I am a fan of going light on the systems. In fact, I have ordered the boat sans some of the stock systems (pressure/hot water, shower, wheel steering, etc.). Allan jokes that he has never seen anyone go into the negative on the options.

We will have a Furuno GPS and backup with simple lat/lon readout and rely on paper charts, many of which I have leftover from the last voyage. We will also have the good old Plath sextant aboard, just in case. We will use a laptop weatherfax from NOAA SSB (ham) transmissions. Other than a handheld VHF, that will be it. The West Marine arm is good. The autopilot will be a Monitor vane steering system.

I totally agree with you about keeping a boat up to stock. Not only will buyers appreciate it and pay extra, but anything else is sacrilegious.

Dave
Quote Share with Facebook

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome