SailNet Community - View Single Post - How did you get your start in sailing?
View Single Post
Old 02-07-2013

i_amcdn is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to i_amcdn Send a message via MSN to i_amcdn Send a message via Yahoo to i_amcdn
Re: How did you get your start in sailing?

Did a rum cruise / day sail in St Martin to Prickly Pear and loved the wind in my then longish hair. Upon return home to Ottawa chatted with a co-worker who belonged to a small sailing club that rented space @ a Boy Scouts camp on the Ottawa River just west of Kanata. There I learned on Albacores and Lasers. There is nothing to compare to the heart stopping thrill of learning to tip and right a dinghy in 60F water of the Ottawa River in May.

From there I took my Basic Cruising on the Ottawa out of Britannia Yacht Club. 2 very hot windless weekends in 90F+. Learning to sail on a river introduces one to the nuances such as shifting winds.

During one winter I got my Coastal Navigation. The following year we debated: Intermediate during the summer on Lake Ontario @ Kingston or Intermediate course in the BVI's during the winter. An abundance of airline points caused us to fly Ottawa-Boston-San Juan-STT and ferry to West End on Tortola where we spent a week on a C&C41 that was part of the North-South fleet then at Nanny Cay.

Years later that C&C lost its anchor and was smashed on the rocks. I think North-South suffered the same fate.

In 2000 I moved to Toronto, paid $120 a month to sail out of Queens Quay Sailing....choice of J24s or Sonars for 3 hours a day. Cheap fun in my opinion. Spent 2 years crewing on one of the race teams. That 15 minutes at the start line is worth 15 days of sailing instruction.

With my Intermediate under my belt we chartered 3x in the BVIs.

Now I am restoring a 1981 Edel 665 (22') with launch to happen May 2013.
S/V Seque is the start of the next chapter.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook