SailNet Community - View Single Post - Lets have a chat about multis.
View Single Post
Old 02-07-2013

PCP will become famous soon enough
Re: Lets have a chat about multis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TropicCat View Post
I already told you what I thought of CE ratings. However, you persisit. I took 15 minutes and Googled CE Class A catamarans. Here's what I found.

The following catamarans have EU CE Class A certification

PDQ 34
Tomcat 9.7
Antares 44
Neverlands 65
SUNREEF 62
Jeanneau Lagoon 380
Jeanneau Lagoon 440
Jeanneau Lagoon 500
Dean 380
Fusion 40
Fountaine-Pajot Mahe 36
Fountaine-Pajot Bahia 46
FOUNTAINE PAJOT ORANA 44 (Probably all of them)
Fountaine Pajot Lipari 41 Maestro (Owner's Version)
Catana 47
Catana 521

This is not a complete list. At this point I stopped looking.....as ALL current catamaran designs sold in any EU country have to be CE Certified. From the looks of what I found, Class A is rather common.

I am confused with your list. Yes for a cat to be sold on the European market has to be certified and it will be A, B or C according with the stability and seaworthiness characteristics. Of course that Class A cats are more than common. Practically all cats bigger than 38ft (and some 36ft) are Certified as class A cats. Most brands start their range at 38/39ft to have all their boats certified as Class A cats.

What I said is that while a monohull can normally pass the Class A certification with 30/33ft, a cat only manages that with 36/38ft.

On your list only the PDQ 34, the Tomcat 9.7 and eventually the Fountaine-Pajot Mahe 36 are relevant.

The only PDQ 34 that I know is a power cat, not a sail cat and is not certainly certified as a Class A boat.

PDQ 34 Power Catamaran

Regarding the other two please post the relevant information that leads you to say that they are EC certified as Class A boats.

I don't believe that is possible for the 32ft Tomcat 9.7 and regarding the 36ft Pajot, well it is possible but very difficult for a Cat of that size to be a Class A.

I searched and Pajot says clearly that its 41ft is a class A cat but regarding the 36ft they don't say in what Class the boat is classified. Maybe you have found what I was unable to find. Please post it, I am curious.

Regards

Paulo
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook