SailNet Community - View Single Post - Can I sail to the Bahamas with NO experience?
View Single Post
Old 02-07-2013
KNOT KNOWN

Capt.aaron is on a distinguished road
Re: Can I sail to the Bahamas with NO experience?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jobberone View Post
Just so I don't assume, why should the sun be behind you and why must you leave at midnight?
Well, you don't want to make first time approaches to poorly marked entrances with the sun in your eye's, and Entering Bimini at night, having never been there before is dangerous. When I leave Angle Fish Creek at Midnight, I arrive in Bimini, around noon, no glare in my face, I can read the water, when the sun is a little behind me I can see the range poles on the beach. I need to line them up in order to line up my aproach, with out the sun reflecting off of them, they are hard to pick out. The trees shadow them in the morning. Also, you want to make sure you have time to secure the boat and get cleared in. I've been leaving Key Largo at Midnight and arriving in Bimini in early afternoon since 1978 with Grand Pa and as recently as last spring. So I guess part of it is just how I was raised, never thought of doing it differently. It takes 12 hours to do that crossing, so leave when you want to arrive. Leave at 09:00, arrive at 21:00 and so on.