SailNet Community - View Single Post - Lets have a chat about multis.
View Single Post
Old 02-07-2013

smj is on a distinguished road
Re: Lets have a chat about multis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucklesR View Post
Basically all of this 'chatter' is a primary reason why catamaran owners don't get into these discussions with monohull owners.

Not because we (I'm a ex-cat owner, I count as 'we') can't debate the issue, but instead because there is no resolution.
It's apples and oranges - something most monohull owners can understand when it comes to discussing different types of monohull - although even that has some 'fire' to it (witness the full keel thread here).

Some folks though, they just can't come around. I've been told that a catamaran isn't a sailboat by people I've respected, I've been told a boat designed to cruise instead of race is not a sailboat, that instead only boats that are designed to maximize performance are truly sailboats.

We've seen some of that here, in only 6 pages of posts.

I'm pretty sure that when Woody from Latt's and Att's did his circumnavigation in a coastal POS ( IIRC a Cal 27) he didn't worry that the experts said a 40 foot was needed, he didn't care that a CE certification wasn't issued. That piece of paper was good for TP, but didn't float the boat.

I'm not here to argue, some are. Have fun with this, I'm out.
I like both multis and monos. I can see advantages to both and appreciate both but I'm a multihuller at heart. I think this has actually been one of the most civilized mono multi conversations I've been in!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook